Join Russia Direct for a Google Hangouts discussion on Monday, April 6 at 10 a.m. EST as we discuss the major outcomes of the Iran nuclear talks and recent important changes in Middle East geopolitics that impact Russia.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, centre, speaks to the press after meetings in Lausanne. Photo: AP
On April 6, join a special Russia Direct webcast on the outcomes of the Iranian nuclear talks, which were scheduled to conclude on Tuesday, March 31. Participants will also discuss changes that have occurred in the Middle East in recent weeks, including Saudi-led airstrikes on Yemen against Houthi Shia rebels and the Arab League’s decision to form an Arab joint military force. The status of the Iran nuclear talks is crucial for the further development of the region. As major world powers, including France, Germany, Russia, the UK and the U.S., are involved in the talks and pursue their own interests it makes the issue even more complicated and urgent.
Video by Pavel Inzhelevsky
Moderated by Alexey Khlebnikov, the Senior Editor of Russia Direct, the webcast will include the following participants:
- Petr Topychkanov, Associate in the Carnegie Moscow Center’s Nonproliferation Program;
- Mario Abou Zeid, Research analyst at the Carnegie Middle East Center, where his work focuses on political developments in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, and Iran;
- Nikolay Surkov, Assistant Professor at the MGIMO's Chair of Middle Eastern Studies;
- Vladimir Evseev, Head of Caucasus Department of the CIS Institute, Director of the Center for Public Policy Research, Academic Secretary of the Coordinating Council of the Russian Academy of Sciences on forecasting.
What questions will we answer during the webcast?
1. What are the main results of the talks in Lausanne?
2. With crises in Yemen, Syria and Iraq, as well as the Arab League's decision to form an Arab joint military force, the Sunni-Shia rivalry is growing in intensity. How will this rivalry affect P5+1 attempts to reach a final deal with Iran?
3. How can Russia affect the negotiation process with Iran?
4. How do the Iran talks and situation in the Middle East affect Russia’s interests and position in the Middle East?
5. What are the possible consequences for the region and Russia of the deal with Iran?
Have questions regarding the Iran nuclear talks, their impact on the region and the world? Submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org before the discussion for a chance to have your question addressed! Also, you can ask your questions via Twitter using the hashtag #RDwebcast.